Portland Maine is a food lover’s paradise, with a diverse and delicious culinary scene that reflects the city’s history, culture and natural resources. You can find everything from fresh seafood and lobster rolls to artisan cheese and gelato, from ethnic cuisines and vegan options to craft beers and cocktails. Whether you are looking for fine dining or casual eats, Portland Maine has something for everyone.
One of the best ways to experience the food culture of Portland Maine is to take a Portland Maine tour that combines sightseeing and tasting. As you walk around downtown Portland, I do stopping at one or more of these below places to get a taste of authentic Portland.
- Gorgeous Gelato Portland: This place offers authentic Italian gelato made with fresh ingredients and natural flavors. You can choose from a variety of flavors, such as pistachio, hazelnut, tiramisu and lemon.
- Allagash Brewing Company: This place is one of the most renowned craft breweries in Maine, specializing in Belgian-style beers. You can take a free tour of the brewery and taste some of their award-winning beers, such as Allagash White, Allagash Tripel and Allagash Curieux.
- Eventide Oyster Co.: This place is a modern oyster bar that serves fresh seafood and creative dishes. You can enjoy some of their signature items, such as lobster rolls, brown butter lobster stew and fried oyster bun.
- Duckfat: This place is a cozy cafe that serves comfort food with a twist. You can indulge in some of their delicious dishes, such as duck fat fries, duck confit panini and duck poutine.
- The Holy Donut: This place is a donut shop that makes handcrafted donuts with Maine potatoes. You can savor some of their unique flavors, such as dark chocolate sea salt, maple bacon and lemon poppyseed.
Essential Travel Guide: