1 - 2 Hours
One Per Person
At Your Own Pace
Welcome to the Salt Lake City Tour
Immerse yourself in Salt Lake City’s heritage with this self-guided walking tour. Discover the world-famous Temple Square and delve into the heart of the city as you learn about its founders and their difficult journey across America. Marvel at the Utah State Capitol’s stunning architecture as you revisit the dramatic struggles that led to Utah’s statehood. Get to know Brigham Young, the man behind the myth, as you admire the Salt Lake City Tabernacle and the awe-inspiring Salt Lake City Temple. Don’t just visit the city—discover the history beneath the surface!
About the Tour
This comprehensive walking tour of Salt Lake City begins outside the Visit Salt Lake Center. From there, you’ll head toward Temple Square and learn about Joseph Smith and the city’s early days. Turning onto Main St, you’ll delve into the struggles of the early Mormon pioneers.
Next, visit the Brigham Young Monument and the Handcart Pioneer Monument and get to know these crucial figures in the history of Salt Lake City and Mormonism. Then discover a compelling legend as you admire the Seagull Monument!
Your walk leads next to the imposing Salt Lake City Tabernacle, home to the famous Tabernacle Choir, followed by the magnificent Salt Lake Temple in Temple Square. This is Salt Lake City’s biggest attraction for a reason, and you’ll uncover the history and significance of these iconic landmarks.
The tour continues past the Relief Society Building, shedding light on the influential women in the city’s history. Then learn about the Utah War and subsequent dramatic struggles for power as you pass the Salt Lake City Council Hall.
After that, the majestic Utah State Capitol awaits. Admire this stunning feat of architecture as you relive the wild events that finally led to Utah receiving statehood. Plus, find out about the history of women’s suffrage in Utah!
Next, you’ll walk to the lavish McCune Mansion, hear tales of the North Shore Monster, and delve into the more mysterious side of Salt Lake City.
The journey culminates outside the Church History Museum, where you’ll be able to keep the adventure going if you so desire. Your tour concludes only a block away from the visitor center where it began.
Where to start?
We recommend Starting From: Visit Salt Lake Center, 90 S W Temple St, Salt Lake City, UT 84101
How does it work?
- Once you book a tour, you’ll get a text/email with instructions.
- Download the app (while in good wifi/signal) and use your unique password to access your tours.
- To begin touring, go to the starting point and launch the app.
- The audio starts automatically once you reach the starting point. Stick to the tour route & speed limit for the best experience.
- Please note that no one will meet you at the starting point.
What You'll See
The Second Great Awakening
Before the Mormons
Mormons Under Attack
Brigham Young Monument
Handcart Pioneer Monument
Salt Lake City Tabernacle
The Tabernacle Choir
Salt Lake Temple
Relief Society Building
City Creek Park
The Utah War
Salt Lake City Council Hall
Utah State Capitol
Martha Hughes Cannon
2002 Winter Olympics
North Shore Monster
Salt Lake City Conference Center
Church History Library
Church History Museum
Family History Library
Preview The Tour
Some must-visit attractions include Temple Square, the Utah State Capitol, City and County Building, and the historic districts of downtown Salt Lake City.
The duration of the tour can vary depending on the pace and the number of stops, but it usually takes about 2 to 4 hours to cover the main sights.
Mornings are generally a great time to start the tour when the weather is cooler, and attractions are less crowded. However, the city is beautiful to explore at any time of day.
Most of the outdoor attractions on the tour are free to visit. However, some indoor attractions like museums may have admission fees.
You can visit the attractions in any order that suits your preferences. There’s no strict sequence to follow.
Yes, it’s a good idea to read up on the history and culture of Salt Lake City to fully appreciate the significance of the attractions you’ll encounter.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- App on your phone: A link to download the Action Tour Guide App and Password for your tours.
- Flexible schedule: Use any day, any time. Travel over multiple days or on your next trip within 1 year of your purchase.
- Easy to use: Stories play automatically by GPS. Hands-free. Get HELP all day: Call, Chat, or Email.
- At your own pace: No group. Take breaks for photos/ snacks/hikes. Go at your own pace.
- Offline use: No cell signal or wifi required. Offline GPS Map & route. Stop-to-stop direction.
- Don’t miss a thing: Full itinerary, travel tips, professionally narrated videos, text, and hidden gems.
- Transportation, parking fees, food, and drinks.
- Entry tickets or reservations to any attractions along the route.
- Car Rental: Please arrange a rental car at the closest airport or train station.