Per Tour: 2 - 3 Hours
One Per Car
At Your Own Pace
Welcome to the Outer Banks Tours
Explore North Carolina’s Outer Banks on this self-guided car tour. First, see the majestic Bodie Island Lighthouse and the peaceful Coquina Beach, where nature and history merge. Continue to Chicamacomico Life-Saving Station Historic Site, a maritime hero attraction. Next, see the Currituck Beach Lighthouse, a coastal landmark. Last stop: the Wright Brothers National Memorial, where flight dreams were realized. Explore maritime history and pioneering spirit in stunning coastal scenery.
About the Tours
Embark on a journey through the Wright Brothers Carolina Dunes, weaving through tales of invention, history, and natural beauty.
Dive into the enigma of Nags Head’s name, then be captivated by the magnificent sights of Jockey’s Ridge State Park. Experience the riveting journey from the humorous misadventures at Langley to the Wright Brothers’ soaring success. Pay a homage at the Wright Brothers National Memorial and discover how the ‘Flight for the Flightless’ changed history. The rivalry between Langley and Wright unveils a narrative of persistence and innovation.
Navigate through the picturesque streets, making a stop at the historical Wright Brother’s Garage Monument, witnessing the origins of their legendary endeavors. Venture into the lush environs of Kitty Hawk Woods Reserve and uncover tales from ‘Bicycles to Biplanes’. Ghost crabs and the quirky competition between North Carolina and Ohio will keep you entertained. Explore the scenic Duck Town Park Boardwalk, then immerse in the tales of wild geese at Currituck, pirates in its history, and the mesmerizing wild horses of the Outer Banks.
Visit the enigmatic Bodie Island Lighthouse, learning about its Confederate history, before journeying through Oregon Inlet, touching upon the Herbert C. Bonner Bridge’s significance, and discovering the diverse marine life in Pamlico Sound. The Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge unveils stories of the Croatans and Loggerhead Turtles. The saga of the Struggling Colony and the Lost Colony is as mysterious as it sounds. From Manteo’s tale to Cape Hatteras, the narrative is filled with shipwrecks, lighthouses, and eerie legends.
Hear tales of piracy with Blackbeard’s ghost, and then delve into the history of Hatteras and its role during wartime. Conclude your journey with a ferry trip to Ocracoke Island, exploring its various attractions. Throughout this tour, you’ll be not just a traveler, but a time-traveler, exploring stories that span centuries, from the first Europeans’ arrival to the present day. With your app as your guide, the Wright Brothers Carolina Dunes will come alive in a tapestry of tales and sights. Safe travels!
Where to start?
Tour Name – Cape Hatteras National Seashore Driving Tour
Starting Address –Whalebone Junction Information Center, Cape Hatteras National Park Rd, Nags Head, NC 27959
Tour Name – Wright Brothers Carolina Dunes Driving Tour
Starting Address – Whalebone Junction Information Center, Cape Hatteras National Park Rd, Nags Head, NC 27959
How does it work?
- Once you book a tour, you’ll get a text/email with instructions.
- Download the app (while in good wifi/signal) and use your unique password to access your tours.
- To begin touring, go to the starting point and launch the app.
- The audio starts automatically once you reach the starting point. Stick to the tour route & speed limit for the best experience.
- Please note that no one will meet you at the starting point.
Preview The Tour
This bundle includes self-guided driving tours of the Outer Banks’ history, stories, and natural beauty. Bodie Island Lighthouse, Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge, Tales of the Lost Colony, Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, Blackbeard’s Legends, Ocracoke Island, Chicamacomico Life-Saving Station, and more are highlighted.
To access these tours, you can use a designated tour guide app on your smartphone or mobile device. Download the app, select the specific tour you want to explore, and follow the audio and GPS-guided instructions as you drive through the Outer Banks.
Tours begin at Whalebone Junction Information Center, the entryway to the Outer Banks’ unique stories. The tour visits several Outer Banks areas with historical and natural value. The journey usually ends at Coquina Beach.
Your pace and time at each destination determine how long it takes to finish all the excursions in the bundle. Exploring Outer Banks locations and tales takes several hours on average.
Additional features and add-ons may affect tour prices. Check the tour guide app for additional fees. Some attractions charge admission.
Indeed, the Outer Banks Tours bundle caters to all ages and interests. History, legends, and natural beauty make it fun for families and individuals.
Yes, you may book the Outer Banks Tours bundle year-round. Take into account local weather and seasonal aspects while arranging your vacation to maximize your experience.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- App on your phone: A link to download the Action Tour Guide App and Password for your tours.
- Flexible schedule: Use any day, any time. Travel over multiple days or on your next trip within 1 year of your purchase.
- Easy to use: Stories play automatically by GPS. Hands-free. Get HELP all day: Call, Chat, or Email.
- At your own pace: No group. Take breaks for photos/ snacks/hikes. Go at your own pace.
- Offline use: No cell signal or wifi required. Offline GPS Map & route. Stop-to-stop direction.
- Don’t miss a thing: Full itinerary, travel tips, professionally narrated videos, text, and hidden gems.
- Transportation, parking fees, food, and drinks.
- Entry tickets or reservations to any attractions along the route.
- Car Rental: Please arrange a rental car at the closest airport or train station.