2 - 3 Hours
One Per Car
At Your Own Pace
Welcome to the Shiloh Battlefield Tour
Return to the site of one of the Civil War’s first major battles with this self-guided driving tour of Shiloh National Military Park! Get to know familiar figures like General Sherman before they became the seasoned veterans they are remembered as. Visit the Hornet’s Nest and Grant’s Last Line as you relive the chaos of battle with blow-by-blow narration. Discover why a single bullet fired at Shiloh may have changed the course of the entire war.
About the Tour
Your tour begins at the Shiloh Battlefield Visitor Center, where you’ll set the stage for the epic battle that unfolded across these hallowed grounds. Next, pay homage to the brave at the Iowa State Monument before you visit Grant’s Last Line, where you’ll hear of the steadfast resolve of Union troops.
As you turn onto Confederate Road, you’ll explore the critical misstep that altered the battle’s course. Then you’ll pause by the Daughters of the Confederacy Monument and learn what the rebels hoped to accomplish on this battlefield.
Next, stop by Duncan Field and hear about the courage of one of the Union regiments under fire. Continuing on, you’ll reach the Shiloh Church, where an unprepared General Sherman found himself faced with an overwhelming Confederate advance.
After that, you’ll swing by Seay Field to see the site where fighting began, then learn how Union forces were forced into a chaotic retreat by the Confederate assault. Then you’ll pass a historic artillery formation and head straight towards the infamous ‘Hornet’s Nest’, where the most intense fighting took place.
Next, pay a visit to the Confederate Burial Trench, a stark reminder of the conflict’s human cost. Then relive a dramatic Union counterattack at Jones Field before visiting the Tennessee State Memorial and the Texas State Monument.
After that, you’ll have the opportunity to step beyond the Civil War for a while and discover the Shiloh Indian Mounds, revealing the area’s ancient history.
At last, you’ll head to Pittsburg Landing to hear about the final stages of the battle and its nation-altering aftermath. The tour concludes here, near the Shiloh National Cemetery.
Where to start?
Tour Starting Address: Shiloh Visitor Center, at 1055 Pittsburg Landing Road
How does it work?
- Once you book a tour, you’ll get a text/email with instructions.
- Download the app (while in good wifi/signal) and use your unique password to access your tours.
- To begin touring, go to the starting point and launch the app.
- The audio starts automatically once you reach the starting point. Stick to the tour route & speed limit for the best experience.
- Please note that no one will meet you at the starting point.
Preview The Tour
Inclusions and Exclusions
- App on your phone: A link to download the Action Tour Guide App and Password for your tours.
- Flexible schedule: Use any day, any time. Travel over multiple days or on next trip. Never expires.
- Easy to use: Stories play automatically by GPS. Hands-free. Get HELP all day: Call, Chat, or Email.
- At your own pace: No group. Take breaks for photos/ snacks/hikes. Go at your own pace.
- Offline use: No cell signal or wifi required. Offline GPS Map & route. Stop-to-stop direction.
- Don’t miss a thing: Full itinerary, travel tips, professionally narrated videos, text, and hidden gems.
- Transportation, parking fees, food, and drinks.
- Entry tickets or reservations to any attractions along the route.
- Car Rental: Please arrange a rental car at the closest airport or train station.