1 - 2 Hours
One Per Person
At Your Own Pace
Welcome to the Devil’s Den Gettysburg Battlefield Tour
Welcome to the self-guided walking tour of the Devil’s Den, a battleground of ferocious fighting during the Battle of Gettysburg! Here, Union and Confederate soldiers brutally struggled to gain control of this strategic location — and eventually win the war. As you walk amongst the towering boulders and alien landscape of the Devil’s Den, the tour transports you back in time to envisage soldiers, generals, and sharpshooters battling all around you. This Devil’s Den Gettysburg tour lets you explore the historic Gettysburg battlefield with maximum flexibility, safety and value.
About the Tour
This self-guided audio & GPS tour begins at the parking area and then leads you into that field. Here we set the stage and introduce you to the commanders, Union General Daniel Sickles and Confederate General James Longstreet. Both are tactical masterminds with thousands of men at their command… but who will win?
We’ll step back in time as we watch the Union bring out cannons and their best-in-the-world sharpshooters, hoping to fend off the Confederate. We’ll then follow the route of the inevitable Confederate advance, aided by cannon fire of their own.
When we arrive at the monument to the Orange Blossoms, we’ll hear how desperate the Union position has become and revisit the heroism displayed by the courageous men of the 124th New York.
Afterward, on the Gettysburg Battlefield tour, we’ll visit the monument to the Pennsylvania and Maine soldiers who gave everything to prevent the Confederates from Devil’s Den.
As we continue our walk, listen to accounts of how the whole struggle splintered into pieces, becoming a brutal, chaotic sequence of skirmishes among the battlefield. We’ll immerse you in the pandemonium of gun smoke, rifle fire, and bayonet charges so you can practically see the fighting unfold around you.
As we reach the end of the Devil’s Den Gettysburg Tour, we’ll watch the final results of the bloody conflict and consider what either side gained–or lost–through so much bloodshed.
Starting Point Address: Sickles Avenue, Sickles Ave, Gettysburg, PA 17325, USA
Gettysburg’s Rich Past Unveiled
How does it work?
- Once you book a tour, you’ll get a text/email with instructions.
- Download the app (while in good wifi/signal) and use your unique password to access your tours.
- To begin touring, go to the starting point and launch the app.
- The audio starts automatically once you reach the starting point. Stick to the tour route & speed limit for the best experience.
- Please note that no one will meet you at the starting point.
Preview the Tour
Welcome Audio Story
A Terrible Realization Audio Story
Devil’s Den is a rocky area in Gettysburg where intense fighting occurred during the Battle of Gettysburg. It’s significant due to the ferocious struggle between Union and Confederate forces.
It’s a self-guided audio and GPS tour that allows you to explore the historic battlefield at Devil’s Den with maximum flexibility and value.
The tour begins at the parking area near Devil’s Den.
The tour introduces Union General Daniel Sickles and Confederate General James Longstreet, both of whom were tactical leaders with significant roles in the battle.
The tour covers various events, including the Union’s use of cannons and sharpshooters, the Confederate advance, the heroism of the 124th New York, and skirmishes that unfolded during the battle.
The monument represents the valor and bravery of the 124th New York soldiers who fought in Devil’s Den.
The tour provides information about the site, but it’s advisable to check for any admission fees or specific requirements.
Devil’s Den is generally accessible year-round, but it’s a good idea to consider weather conditions, especially during extreme seasons.
The tour involves walking through rocky terrain, so it may not be suitable for individuals with mobility issues. It’s advisable to wear appropriate footwear and consider the physical demands of the tour.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- App on your phone: A link to download the Action Tour Guide App and Password for your tours.
- Flexible schedule: Use any day, any time. Travel over multiple days or on next trip. Never expires.
- Easy to use: Stories play automatically by GPS. Hands-free. Get HELP all day: Call, Chat, or Email.
- At your own pace: No group. Take breaks for photos/ snacks/hikes. Go at your own pace.
- Offline use: No cell signal or wifi required. Offline GPS Map & route. Stop-to-stop direction.
- Don’t miss a thing: Full itinerary, travel tips, professionally narrated videos, text, and hidden gems.
- Transportation, parking fees, food, and drinks.
- Entry tickets or reservations to any attractions along the route.
- Car Rental: Please arrange a rental car at the closest airport or train station.