1 - 2 Hours
One Per Person
At Your Own Pace
Welcome to the Newport Common Burying Ground Tour
Did you know Newport is home to the oldest colonial burial site for Jews? Being a seaport, the city always hosted diverse guests visible in its various burial sites. It is also home to one of the most prominent African American burial sites in the country.
Some famous burials include the Declaration of Independence, William Ellery, and 19th-century architect Richard Morris Hunt. Newport is also home to some exquisitely carved gravestones, thanks to John Stevens and six generations of family who worked in the city. Today, the Benson family has taken over the work of carving these stones. On this self-guided Newport tour, you will explore the historical significance of the burial grounds.
How does it work?
- Once you book a tour, you’ll get a text/email with instructions.
- Download the app (while in good wifi/signal) and use your unique password to access your tours.
- To begin touring, go to the starting point and launch the app.
- The audio starts automatically once you reach the starting point. Stick to the tour route & speed limit for the best experience.
- Please note that no one will meet you at the starting point.
Preview the Tour
Gravestones and monuments Audio Story
Jane Stuart Audio Story
Charles Bardin (1700 to 1773) Audio Story
Duchess Quamino (1739 to 1804) Audio Story
White Bronze Monument Audio Story
Inclusions and Exclusions
- App on your phone: A link to download the Action Tour Guide App and Password for your tours.
- Flexible schedule: Use any day, any time. Travel over multiple days or on next trip. Never expires.
- Easy to use: Stories play automatically by GPS. Hands-free. Get HELP all day: Call, Chat, or Email.
- At your own pace: No group. Take breaks for photos/ snacks/hikes. Go at your own pace.
- Offline use: No cell signal or wifi required. Offline GPS Map & route. Stop-to-stop direction.
- Don’t miss a thing: Full itinerary, travel tips, professionally narrated videos, text, and hidden gems.
- Transportation, parking fees, food, and drinks.
- Entry tickets or reservations to any attractions along the route.
- Car Rental: Please arrange a rental car at the closest airport or train station.