2 - 3 Hours
One Per Car
At Your Own Pace
Welcome to the White Sands National Park
Experience rolling white dunes, mountain backdrops, and a hiking trail like no other with this self-guided driving and walking tour of White Sands National Park. Discover the secrets of this unique ecosystem and delve into its history as you hike the famous Alkali Flat trail through the dazzling dunes. Hear about prehistoric beasts, Apache warriors, and J. Robert Oppenheimer while you take in the park’s majestic scenery. This tour includes both a driving and a walking portion.
About the Tour
Your adventure begins at the park entrance. From there, you’ll drive to the Dune Life Nature Trailhead, where you’ll be introduced to the diverse ecosystem thriving in this unique environment. As you proceed, you’ll hear about how an ancient lake once dominated this landscape and get to know why gypsum makes for some seriously unusual sand.
The Interdune Boardwalk offers an accessible path through the dunes, allowing for close-up views of the flora and fauna adapted to this harsh environment. Then you’ll head to the main attraction: The Alkali Flat Trail. This four-mile trail through the dunes culminates in a vast flat expanse and shows off the very best that White Sands has to offer.
As you walk, you’ll hear all kinds of stories from the long history of White Sands. Get to know the prehistoric beasts and people who called this place home when it was lush and green. Hear about the wars and crimes of greed and pride that have rocked this isolated land. And revisit the life of J. Robert Oppenheimer and the creation of the atomic bomb, including the famous Trinity Test which took place in White Sands!
This combination driving and walking tour is the quintessential White Sands experience, so don’t miss out!
Where to start?
For Best Experience, We recommend starting from: White Sands Visitor Center, 19955 US-70, Alamogordo
How does it work?
- Once you book a tour, you’ll get a text/email with instructions.
- Download the app (while in good wifi/signal) and use your unique password to access your tours.
- To begin touring, go to the starting point and launch the app.
- The audio starts automatically once you reach the starting point. Stick to the tour route & speed limit for the best experience.
- Please note that no one will meet you at the starting point.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- App on your phone: A link to download the Action Tour Guide App and Password for your tours.
- Flexible schedule: Use any day, any time. Travel over multiple days or on your next trip within 1 year of your purchase.
- Easy to use: Stories play automatically by GPS. Hands-free. Get HELP all day: Call, Chat, or Email.
- At your own pace: No group. Take breaks for photos/ snacks/hikes. Go at your own pace.
- Offline use: No cell signal or wifi required. Offline GPS Map & route. Stop-to-stop direction.
- Don’t miss a thing: Full itinerary, travel tips, professionally narrated videos, text, and hidden gems.
- Transportation, parking fees, food, and drinks.
- Entry tickets or reservations to any attractions along the route.
- Car Rental: Please arrange a rental car at the closest airport or train station.