1 - 2 Hours
One Per Person
At Your Own Pace
Welcome to the West Thumb Geyser Basin Tour
Enhance your visit to Yellowstone with this self-guided walking tour through the geothermal wonders of the West Thumb Geyser Basin. This journey along a boardwalk surrounded by steaming hot springs and burbling geysers is sure to make an impression. Stare into the mysteries of the deep at the Abyss Pool and the Black Pool. Stroll along the tranquil shores of Yellowstone Lake. Hear the strange history of the Fishing Cone. And much more! This walking tour of West Thumb gets you up close and personal with some of Yellowstone’s coolest (and hottest) attractions.
About the Tour
Your journey through the West Thumb Geyser Basin begins next to the West Thumb Information Center. From here, you’ll begin your stroll along the boardwalk and learn about the complex hydrothermal systems underlying this fascinating geyser basin. Then watch those systems in action at the Surging Spring and Collapsing Pool!
Next, the tour takes you to Thumb Geyser and Blue Funnel Spring, where you’ll hear about Daniel Potts and his significance to the history of the basin.
Continuing to Twin Geyser and Hillside Geyser, you’ll discover the intricate patterns of geyser eruptions and the science behind them. Then, at the Abyss Pool, immerse yourself in the stories of its depth and allure, followed by the serene beauty of Black Pool.
The Big Cone Geyser and Lakeshore Geyser reveal yet more about the geologic wonders of Yellowstone. As you stroll along the shores of Yellowstone Lake, enjoy the panoramic views and learn about hidden geysers beneath the lake’s surface!
You’ll then circle back and see Bluebell Pool and Seismograph Pool, a pair of hot springs with an unusual history. Your tour concludes beyond these two pools, right near the spot where it began.
Where to start?
We recommend Starting from: West Thumb Information Station, Grand Loop Rd, Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190
How does it work?
- Once you book a tour, you’ll get a text/email with instructions.
- Download the app (while in good wifi/signal) and use your unique password to access your tours.
- To begin touring, go to the starting point and launch the app.
- The audio starts automatically once you reach the starting point. Stick to the tour route & speed limit for the best experience.
- Please note that no one will meet you at the starting point.
What You'll See
Surging Spring and Collapsing Pool
Blue Funnel Spring
The 2003 Bulge
Big Cone Geyser
Geysers and Grant
Bluebell Pool & Seismograph Pool
Preview The Tour
The West Thumb Geyser Basin is a geothermal area located along the shore of Yellowstone Lake in Yellowstone National Park, known for its colorful hot springs and geysers.
Yes, West Thumb is worth visiting for its unique combination of geothermal features set against the stunning backdrop of Yellowstone Lake, making it a must-see attraction in the park.
The self-guided walking tour can take approximately 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the pace and the time you spend at each feature.
Some of the main features include Fishing Cone, Abyss Pool, Black Pool, and Thumb Paint Pots. Each offers unique colors and geological formations.
No, swimming or soaking in the hot springs is strictly prohibited due to their extreme temperatures, which can cause severe burns or even be fatal.
Morning visits often provide more tranquil conditions and better lighting for photography. However, the basin is beautiful at any time of day.
Yes, there are restroom facilities near the parking area, but it’s recommended to bring your own drinking water, as potable water sources may be limited within the basin.
Yes, after exploring West Thumb, you can continue your Yellowstone adventure by visiting other nearby attractions such as the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, Old Faithful, and the Upper Geyser Basin.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- App on your phone: A link to download the Action Tour Guide App and Password for your tours.
- Flexible schedule: Use any day, any time. Travel over multiple days or on your next trip within 1 year of your purchase.
- Easy to use: Stories play automatically by GPS. Hands-free. Get HELP all day: Call, Chat, or Email.
- At your own pace: No group. Take breaks for photos/ snacks/hikes. Go at your own pace.
- Offline use: No cell signal or wifi required. Offline GPS Map & route. Stop-to-stop direction.
- Don’t miss a thing: Full itinerary, travel tips, professionally narrated videos, text, and hidden gems.
- Transportation, parking fees, food, and drinks.
- Entry tickets or reservations to any attractions along the route.
- Car Rental: Please arrange a rental car at the closest airport or train station.