2 - 3 Hours
One Per Car
At Your Own Pace
Welcome to the Big Sky Tour
Go beyond Yellowstone and explore the wonders of Big Sky Country with this self-guided driving tour of scenic Highway 191. Start in West Yellowstone and head up to Bozeman, Montana, taking in astonishing views while you drive. Witness the Gallatin Mountains and towering Lone Mountain. Stop for a hike at Lava Lake. Keep your eyes peeled for elk along the banks of the Gallatin River. And so much more. This journey through some of the most majestic landscapes in the United States simply cannot be missed. And with this self-guided tour, you’ll pick up plenty of fascinating history along the way!
About the Tour
Your Big Sky adventure begins at the West Yellowstone Visitor Center. Next, follow the serene Madison River and uncover the dramatic story of the Hegben Lake Earthquake. As you drive along U.S. Highway 191, you’ll witness the awe-inspiring Gallatin mountain range and learn about its ancient formation.
Continue on toward Lone Mountain, you’ll delve into the rich tapestry of human history in this region. Plus, find out what kinds of wildlife you should be keeping an eye out for as you drive.
Next, witness the remnants of the Shedhorn Fire, a testament to nature’s power. Then you can stop and hike the Deer Creek Trail if you want to immerse yourself in this wilderness even further. Admire the sweet treats of Cinnamon Mountain and Lemondrop before learning about the imposing Storm Castle.
Next, the Lava Lake Trailhead beckons, as does the riveting history of the Mountain Shoshone people.
Cruise through Gallatin Canyon, find out how it formed, and get the scoop on the local flora and fauna in this unique ecosystem. Then head on into Bozeman, home to the famous Bozeman Hot Springs and plenty more adventures. Your tour concludes here.
Looking to expand your tour?
- Yellowstone + Grand Teton: Explore these wonders for $35.99 per car and save 49%.
Want all of our tours? Upgrade to Action+:
- An annual $99.99/year subscription offers access to over 150+ tours.
- Unlimited use throughout the year.
- Includes free access to new tours as they are released.
Where to start?
We recommend Starting From: West Yellowstone Visitor Information Center, 30 Yellowstone Ave, West Yellowstone, MT 59758
How does it work?
- Once you book a tour, you’ll get a text/email with instructions.
- Download the app (while in good wifi/signal) and use your unique password to access your tours.
- To begin touring, go to the starting point and launch the app.
- The audio starts automatically once you reach the starting point. Stick to the tour route & speed limit for the best experience.
- Please note that no one will meet you at the starting point.
Preview The Tour
Inclusions and Exclusions
- App on your phone: A link to download the Action Tour Guide App and Password for your tours.
- Flexible schedule: Use any day, any time. Travel over multiple days or on your next trip within 1 year of your purchase.
- Easy to use: Stories play automatically by GPS. Hands-free. Get HELP all day: Call, Chat, or Email.
- At your own pace: No group. Take breaks for photos/ snacks/hikes. Go at your own pace.
- Offline use: No cell signal or wifi required. Offline GPS Map & route. Stop-to-stop direction.
- Don’t miss a thing: Full itinerary, travel tips, professionally narrated videos, text, and hidden gems.
- Transportation, parking fees, food, and drinks.
- Entry tickets or reservations to any attractions along the route.
- Car Rental: Please arrange a rental car at the closest airport or train station.